‘Commercial awareness is more than simply knowing what the law is. It is also more than knowing the academic legal English vocabulary that most books and legal English courses will teach you.
Commercial awareness involves an understanding of what is important and relevant to the client and how the law works in reality. A law student often sees things in black and white. An experienced lawyer knows there are many other colours in between.’
At Cambridge Law Studio we know that it is not enough to know academic legal English. Your clients will require knowledge and advice that will enable them to get the best possible result for their business within the existing commercial and legal framework. This means that as their lawyer you must have:
- Legal English skills that give you the ability to advise on real-life scenarios, not academic theory.
- A good general knowledge of a client’s business and an understanding of the wider international environment in which your client’s business operates.
- An ability to look at situations from a commercial as well as a legal point of view.
This means an understanding of what makes a particular business successful and appreciating the factors, including strong legal English skills, that influence that success. A law student is quick to apply the obvious solution to a problem; a commercially aware lawyer has realistic alternatives.
- Strong, practical legal English skills
- Attention to detail
- Absolute accuracy
- Strong client care skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Comprehensive commercial legal vocabulary
- Strong negotiating skills
- Understanding contracts drafted in modern legal English
- Contract drafting
- Formal writing skills