- Course Length: 3 weeks
- Location: Girton College, University of Cambridge
- Maximum Number of Legal English Students: 12
- Total Classroom Hours: 63
- Students take the TOLES Advanced exam at the end of the course at no extra charge.
- You will receive: An attendance certificate, a TOLES certificate, a personal report, a pack of Cambridge Law Studio stationery and a copy of ‘An Essential A-Z of Business Law’ all at no extra charge.
Legal English Plus Course Outline
Your legal English course includes an intensive study of these areas:
- Commercial legal vocabulary in context
- The terminology of commercial contracts
- Best practice in modern contract drafting in 2017
- Accurate modern letter-writing skills
- Negotiating skills
- Forms of business in the UK
- Company law and its vocabulary
- Presenting information and legal opinions
- Comparing styles – legalese and plain English
- The requirements of leading law firms in 2017
A Typical Day
Lessons take place at these times. Friday’s lessons finish at lunchtime to allow you the opportunity for relaxation and travel.
9.00 – 10.30 LESSON 1
10.30 – 11.00 morning coffee break
11.00 – 12.30 LESSON 2
12.30 – 13.30 lunch in the College dining room
13.30 – 15.00 LESSON 3
*We also ask you to complete some self study each evening.
Focus of the Lessons
Legal English lessons focus upon these aspects of English language:
- Vocabulary crash course
- Accurate and natural sentence structure in English
- Modern style and register
- Comparing the legal English of the UK and the USA
- Accurate prepositions in English
- Accurate collocations in English
- Accurate formation of questions
- Accurate conditional sentences
- Understanding modern idiom
- Correcting old problems
- Students will visit the Old Bailey in London at no extra charge.
Although this legal English course is not designed as preparation for an exam, we feel that an exam at the end of the course is good motivation for everyone to do their very best. On the last Friday of your course we offer you the two-hour TOLES Advanced examination. ‘TOLES’ means Test of Legal English Skills. You will receive your result about 6-8 weeks after the course. For more information about TOLES click here.