THE LEGAL ENGLISH EVENT 2018
1-2 November – Law Society of England and Wales, London
TWELVE GREAT REASONS FOR YOU TO JOIN US IN LONDON, November 1-2, 2018.
International lawyers, law students and translators are invited to London, 1-2 November 2018, for the Legal English Event. In addition to attending advanced legal English seminars with our teachers you will benefit from:
- A unique professional development opportunity, with law and language experts and trainers from New York, Frankfurt, London and Cambridge.
- Make yourself more employable by developing your commercial awareness and making yourself much more valuable to employers than thousands of other law graduates.
- Hear a professional legal translator share her views on the commercial risk of inaccurate translations and how lawyers can help reduce that risk.
- Add this valuable legal and language training certificate to your CV to give yourself a huge advantage in the legal job market.
- Meet Ken Adams, the world’s leading authority on the language of contracts and how they should be drafted.
- Obtain a copy of Ken Adam’s progressive manual on the subject of contract drafting.
- Gain knowledge and skills in law and language that will hugely assist your work in commercial law now and in the future.
- Hear Alex Hamilton of Radiant Law, London on exactly how Artificial Intelligence will affect the work of practising commercial lawyers in the very near future.
- Meet Cambridge Law Studio trainers and be the first to receive a copy of our great new book, ‘Advanced Legal English’.
- Get a valuable insight into the future of commercial law and how legal technology will impact on your profession in the next 10 years.
- Gain a valuable insight into the practical effects on contracts when one party has a civil code system and the other party uses the common law.
- Enjoy two days in the heart of legal London at the prestigious Law Society of England and Wales with leading professionals who aim to assist you as much as possible in your career in law.
MEET YOUR KEYNOTE SPEAKER, KEN ADAMS
Through his company, Adams Contracts Consulting LLC, Mr Adams helps companies improve their contracts and their contract process.
He gives ‘Drafting Clearer Contracts’ seminars internationally, for the public and for companies, law firms, and government agencies. He also acts as an expert in contract disputes.
As part of its ‘Legal Rebels’ project, in 2009 the ABA Journal, the flagship magazine of the American Bar Association, named Mr Adams one of 50 leading innovators in the legal profession.
In 2014, the Legal Writing Institute awarded its Golden Pen Award to Mr Adams, “to recognize his exemplary work in contract drafting.”
Mr Adams writes extensively on contract drafting. He’s the author of ‘A Manual of Style for Contract Drafting’, a groundbreaking guide to the building blocks of contract language. It has been a best-seller for the American Bar Association since it was published in 2004 and the fourth edition was published in October 2017. He’s also the author of ‘The Structure of M&A Contracts’ (Thomson Reuters 2011). In 2015, the ABA Journal admitted Mr Adams’s blog to the hall of fame of the ‘Blawg 100’ – its list of the hundred best law blogs. Mr Adams has taught as an adjunct professor at US law schools. He is also a pioneer in online contract automation.
A US citizen, Mr Adams was raised in Africa and Europe and received his secondary and college education in England. After graduating from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1989 he practised as a transactional lawyer with major US law firms in New York and Geneva. He currently resides in Garden City,
MEET ALEX HAMILTON
Alex is the CEO and founder of Radiant Law, a ‘NewLaw’ firm specialising in managed legal services for commercial contracts. Although a self-proclaimed terrible programmer, Alex has led the development of a number of proprietary LawTech products and regularly talks and advises organisations on the LawTech landscape. Before founding Radiant Law, Alex was a Partner at Latham & Watkins and co-chair of Latham & Watkins’ global Technology Transactions Group. Alex has also led a number of projects that have been recognised by the Financial Times’ (FT’s) Innovative Lawyer Awards, and was shortlisted for the FT’s 2010 Innovative Lawyer of the Year award.
COME AND MEET THE AUTHORS
Natalie is Director of Studies at Cambridge Law Studio, based at Girton College, Cambridge. She is responsible for overseeing the provision of highly-practical legal English courses to legal professionals from all over the world. Before joining Cambridge Law Studio Natalie taught English in various establishments in Europe, Japan and Malaysia and is jointly-qualified in English language teaching and law. Her specialisation is the language of business law and she is the author of a bank of innovative study material on the subject of forms of business and the language of company law in particular. She is co-author of the 2018 publication Advanced Legal English.
Catherine is a founder member and current director at TOLES. She has worked in legal English training and materials development since 1997 and is passionate about providing international lawyers with relevant and practical English language skills. She continues to be outspoken about the overly-academic and archaic language training provided to lawyers by many respected institutions and is a great advocate of putting the learner’s workplace requirements at the forefront of training. She has provided legal English training at Magic Circle level and has trained British Council teachers in the provision of effective legal English classes. She is co-author with Natalie Canham of the 2018 publication Advanced Legal English.
YOUR ALL-INCLUSIVE EXPERIENCE
ENTRY TO ALL PRESENTATIONS AND YOUR CHOSEN WORKSHOPS
Over our two-day event, you’ll see all four presentations in the Law Society Reading Room and attend the workshops of your choice. You’ll receive insights into the future of legal services and language training and, without doubt, give your career a competitive advantage. Come and contribute to our event and be part of something exciting and new.
YOUR OWN COPY OF ‘A MANUAL OF STYLE FOR CONTRACT DRAFTING’
The international legal community need Ken Adams. Whether you’re a lawyer working in English, a translator or a teacher of legal English you’ll find this book invaluable. All delegates will hear Ken Adams present his views on the language of contract and will additionally receive an up-to-date edition of this groundbreaking book.
YOUR OWN COPY OF ‘ADVANCED LEGAL ENGLISH’
This book by Natalie Canham and Catherine Mason will be launched on 2 November 2018. It builds on intermediate level legal English skills and covers advanced contract vocabulary, advanced business law and language, an introduction to Legal Tech, modern drafting advice and more. Come and get one of the first copies available and meet the two authors.